So, you’re at Tomorrowland in Hong Kong Disneyland when you catch a glimpse of a black cape flow right pass you.
You do a double take and lo-and-behold, it’s the Sith Lord of your dreams (or nightmares), Darth Vader. He’s flanked by his Stormtroopers marching on while a crowd of park goers gather around them.
You frantically check the map for character greetings but there is no mention of it. So, do you ditch the map and follow blindly or wait around to see what happens?
If pick waiting around to see what happens, congratulations, you just lost your shot at a photo opportunity with the Dark One.
The unique thing about character meetings like this is they are roving acts with absolutely no real photo opportunities. The only chance you’re going to get a photo with them is if you follow them closely and pray to the mighty Yoda that they pick you.
Yes, you read that right. Darth Vader and his Stormtroopers are the ones with the power to make or break your day. They are the ones who will either spare your feelings or destroy them with the power of a Death Star.
To help you secure your prized photo, here’s what you need to do.
(1) Follow them no matter where they roam. This is absolutely crucial. You need to be with the group of people that surrounds them. Only then will they be able to see you, and possibly select you. Even if you don’t get selected, persevere on to their next spot with them.
(2) Use the Force to obtain a prominent spot. Be in their line of sight, or at least tower over the kid that’s in front of you. You want to get selected, you’ve got to be where they can see you. So, if that means shoving someone behind so you can stand before them – do it.
(3) Raise your hand as high as you can, and look as if you’ve just successfully commandeered the Millennium Falcon. The more excited you are, the more likely they’ll pick you.
(4) If excitement didn’t work, try showing off those Star Wars merch. Yes, a park-goer got selected because of her Captain Phasma phone case that she frantically waved in front of them.
(5) Have a cheer squad that can shout as loud as a Tie-Fighter. It’s the only time when you can put your friends or family to good use. Get them to point at you while shouting for their attention. It worked for the kids so it might just work for you.
(6) Now, if all three methods above don’t work, it’s time to pull out the ultimate method – look absolutely desperate. That’s right, put on that sad look on your face and show them how much you want that darn photo. I am proud to say that though this method is probably the last resort, it is a proven method that works. I used this method when the Stormtroopers picked the kids over me. As hope turned to desperation (which probably showed clearly on my face), Darth Vader himself looked and pointed at me for that coveted photo op.